Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

This morning I decided to put another of my favorite crockpot recipes in the crockpot. I am looking forward to coming home to this one tonight!  Normally I'm quite happy with 5 ingredient recipes for busy mornings.  This one is a little more labor intensive than I like, but it's worth it.  My kids all like it but of course I have to be careful not to put the peppers or onions or mushrooms on their plates.  I suggest larger families may want to double the recipe. It's quite good leftover also.

 I usually keep sliced green pepper, sliced onion and sliced mushrooms in my freezer. This way I can quickly grab them for this recipe and toss it in.  The freezer tip is also helpful because we don't eat mushrooms in many recipes. This one, the mushrooms do add value to the flavor and I don't really notice them when I'm eating it.  As with the onions and green peppers, I try to remove the mushrooms before a child spots it. :)

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
http://busycooks.about.com/od/chickenthighrecipes/r/cpcacciatore.htm



Chicken Thighs - I usually use four frozen
14 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning (if you only have diced tomatoes just add more Italian seasoning separate)
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, sliced or chopped (I slice mine so I can easily identify them for the kids)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine the above ingredients in your crockpot and mix to blend evenly.  The original recipe also calls for 1/2 cup dry red wine but I've never added it. We aren't wine drinkers in my house and I never seem to have any easily on hand. The recipe is just as good without but if you have wine you may want to try adding it. I imagine it adds a depth of flavor.  Cook on low 6-8 hours (I do 8 hours for my frozen thighs).

About a half hour before serving combine:
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

3 Tbsp. cold water

Add to the crockpot and continue cooking. This should help thicken the sauce.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do! It's a nice twist to the traditional spaghetti and healthier too!

No comments:

Post a Comment