Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tips and Timesavers

In 2013, I'm finally embracing the power of saying NO. I admit, I'm an overachiever. I like to volunteer and I have trouble admitting that I can't do it all. But the bottom line is, I can't do it all! So lately I've been prioritizing based on HAVE TO, NEED TO, and LIKE TO classifications. Work can fall into all three, but I tent to put individual tasks into these categories to help me stay organized. On the home front, the prioritization is key. I hold these truths to be self evident:

 1. What gets attended to, gets done
2. Do it now, lest you forget later
3. Embrace the chaos
4. Do, or do not. There is no try. :)
5. Plan ahead
6. Do what has to be done.
7. Let go of the rest.

In that frame of mind, there are tips and timesavers that can help you succeed.
Personally, I use a day planner type calendar. And I write down EVERYTHING. Ok - I try to at least. I'm not actually anal retentive. At least, I don't think so. I'm just a busy mom who has too much going on to try to remember everything. I need to write it down. I tell my husband, write it down or it didn't happen. ;)

It's kind of like my method of housekeeping. I never used to worry much about putting things back immediately. Now? My counter is cluttered 90% of the time. I HAVE to put things where they belong quickly. At least the important things! Otherwise it will get lost in the paper mountain, never to be found again...

* I use a large bulletin board to pin important paperwork like school schedules, permission slips, song lyrics for a concert, tickets to the circus etc.

* I use highlighters to bring out doctors appointments in one color, important meetings in another color, etc in my day planner and on the family calendar.

* I found the wonderful idea on pinterest to hang clothesline across the wall and use clothespins to hold artwork. I have two of these going. I have a self generated rule that I must take down something when I put something else up. And then either throw away or file.

* Kids papers or pictures that I save go into a hanging folder of my "KIDS, to be filed" initially and later to their individual plastic totes (large size) that I keep in the basement. I wish I could say that I have neat and organized folders by grade or age? But in my house, it's a bunch of momentos piled in there (generally in time order) for the kids or me to explore later. It works for me.

* Homework papers go in another hanging file for each child. I need to do better about sorting out old papers we don't need anymore, but at least we know where homework is!

* Each child has a basket / bin that they keep some toys and books in, for the main family room. They have a toy space elsewhere as well but this is an attempt to keep them neat in the main area.

* As I said in a prior post or two, I use my crockpot a lot. It's a relief to have a meal ready when I get home.

* As I said before as well, I try to keep veggies chopped and frozen for quick inclusion in meals (ie green peppers, diced onion, sliced carrots etc).

* I try to meal plan weekly and make grocery lists at the same time. When time is short, this item slips, as it has been lately. I keep frozen meatballs and jarred sauce, fish sticks, and the whole grain chicken strips on hand for quick meals on nights that I haven't planned.

* The kids do some chores like feed the dogs, set the table, clear the table, empty the dishwasher. We have a chore chart to show who's turn it is, which cuts back on fights. This frees up my time to do other things that need to be done.

* My toddler loves to sweep the floor. I give her the swiffer type sweeper and let her loose. This keeps her from clinging to me while I'm making dinner. And usually she picks up some dog hair at least!

* If the swiffer doesn't work, I like to put her in her high chair with some measuring cups and either frozen peas or cheerios (or both) to pour into the cups, stir and snack on. It works to occupy her for a while :)

* I set my 4 year old to work "washing" dishes. He loves it, it occupies him, AND it usually saves me time washing later.

* I use a rice cooker! I LOVE that thing - set the rice and hit the timer and forget about it. Easy cleanup.

* I have personal email on my phone. I know this isn't for everyone, but there is NO way I'd be able to handle what I do, if I was needing to login to my home computer every night. It just wouldn't happen. This way I can check in periodically during my day and respond to teachers, coaches, PTA etc.

There are lots of areas that could use improvement and I continue to learn every day. But these are a few items I think I do well. :) Leave me your tips and strategies!

No comments:

Post a Comment